Back in Arizona again. This was about 4:30 in the afternoon. Temperatures in the low 50’s. Water color on 3 × 5.5” light off white moleskin paper. This paper is actually terrible for watercolor, gets soggy and wrinkly right away.
This is a sketch using a Sailor Fude De Mannen Fountain Pen. Still trying to get the hang of it. I put the supplied cartridge in, which is not waterproof, so to color, I had to use prismacolor pencils to avoid smearing ink all over the place for that. I don’t know why colored pencils are promoted as a beginner art supply. Every time I try to use them I want to give them all away. A blender pencil helped darken values, and I had some luck switching between complementary colors as the darkening progressed. Generally a tedious process, except for the fude pen, which was like driving down a hill with the steering wheel disconnected. Wheeee! 6 × 9” mix media paper.
Last sketch of Elephant head for a while. Actually wanted to finish this later on location because the color tones shifted orange at the days end, but when I rode out to my spot the next day, I found I had brought another sketch pad. Coldpress acquarelle 140lb. paper, 9.5 × 6.2”. Drawn using W&N Burnt Sienna in a crowquill. Cereulean sky, but too heavy.
Watercolor sketch using crow quill for line work. Used Cerulean blue in the sky and Viridian green in the water, colors I haven’t used much in the past. May use Cerulean more, I noticed it’s a less staining pigment, compared to Pthalo or Ultramarine. 4 × 6” coldpress.
An experiment on a cloudy day, to make a composition consisting of 3 separate views brought together in one sketch. Barrel cactus first, walked about 20 feet away and added prickly pear parts behind, turned 180 degrees added sky/clouds last. Good for collecting interesting objects in one spot, but harder to ‘visualize’ a composition. The actual background for the cactii was gray overcast. 4” × 6” Arches cold press, using vision pen and watercolors in about an hour, and about 20 minutes at home darkening values, using dip pen/india ink. Changed the barrel cactus form with pen & ink without adding too much distraction. Rollerball was drying out again.
Wild gourd growing across a smaller offshoot of the Anza trail. 4 × 6” hot press paper. Ink washes with water color glazes. Outline in Uni-ball Vision rollerball. In the desert air, rollerball started clumping ink when I went over some of the original line work.
5 × 7” Initial oil sketch of the mission, about 2 hours work. Later added about 2 hours studio work, shown on second image, using 4 reference photos. Clouds were moving fast and made the mission tone value intermittently darker and then lighter than the sky. Remember shadows on front wall faces picked up some sky color. Painted from inside car, which worked pretty well for the noisy and highly trafficked area. Update added 10/23/19.
Using 6 × 9” mix media. Thought I would post this botch job just for continuity. Felt like I was taking too long. Also another sketch where when I ‘give up’, I clean up the palette and use the remaining color on the sketch. Sometimes this works. Here, not.
Found this metal cone, which is about 20 feet long, abandoned in an open field near the Anza trail. Not sure what it is. Image is 6” × 9”, on Canson XL mix media using Uni-ball vision .7mm pen, ink wash and watercolor.
Sketch of brick fireplace remains near Canoa Ranch. 4 × 6” Fluid hotpress watercolor paper, using waterbrush and Tachikawa map nib. Pencil sketch, watercolor with nib, then washes, then acrylic ink. Acrylic ink dries really fast in Arizona, but cleaned nib later with alcohol. About 1 1/2 hr. Still on the fence with hotpress so far.